Penile atrophy—it’s one of those medical terms that just sounds not good. No one wants their muscles to atrophy, especially not their love muscle. But like spinach and sunscreen, it’s something a man needs to know about and try to prevent if possible. Penile atrophy, also known as penis shrinkage, is when the size of the penis seems to have shrunk or has shrunk due to a loss of penile tissue. For many men, it is a reversible condition, or can at least be meaningfully helped. Let’s talk about what causes penile atrophy, what a man can do to remedy temporary shrinkage, and how to prevent it in the future.
Penile Atrophy: Causes
There are several different causes of penile atrophy. Here are a few of the most common causes, some permanent and some influenced by a lifestyle that has been linked to penis shrinkage.
1) Age – As time ticks on, the body experiences a lot of wear-and-tear. Years of minor (or major) penile trauma from sex, sports mishaps, and just everyday living can lead to accumulated scar tissue. Scar tissue harms the spongy erectile tissue in the penis, which then can lead to penis shrinkage.
2) Visceral Weight Gain – Visceral weight is the most dangerous type of fat and causes a host of problems, several kinds that can affect the penis. In this case, it can make the penis appear smaller. A man’s member is attached to the abdominal wall when the stomach expands, it tugs the penis inward, diminishing its visible size.
3) Smoking – While also bad for the body, smoking wracks havoc on the penis. Smoking shrinks and injures blood vessels in the penis, which can inhibit blood flow which is needed not only for erections but also to give the penis oxygen and other nutrients. Proof of this comes from a study at Boston University of Medicine that discovered that male smokers had smaller penises. Motivated to quit now?
4) Medication – Certain types of medications such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and Adderall can cause penile atrophy.
5) Peyronie’s Disease – Peyronie’s manifests when a man has a significant amount of built-up scar tissue which causes the penis to bend at an angle of 20 degrees or more. In addition to being painful, this can also cause penis shrinkage and even lessen girth.
Penile Atrophy: Potential Treatments
Some causes of penile atrophy are reversible. Here are four ways a man can reverse or significantly help treat penis shrinkage:
1) Lose Weight – Ditch the infamous spare tire and get back a meaningful measurement. It’s said that a 20-pound weight loss will give a man back a half to a full inch.
2) Quit Smoking – Show those penile blood vessels, and the rest of your body, some love, and finally quit the habit. It’s tough, but possible and can restore some length.
3) Medication – The more potent and powerful an erection is, the bigger the penis looks. Get it done with ‘Daddy’s little helpers.’ Male enhancement medications such as Viagra and Cialis boost blood flow, creating a stronger, firmer erection. Be sure to get your own prescription as these types of pills have side effects, risks to heart patients especially, and drug interactions.
4) Surgery – For men with Peyronie’s disease or extreme scar tissue, ultrasound treatments or surgery have proven helpful. While they won’t reverse penis shrinkage, they can intensify penile feeling and improve sexual performance.
Penile Atrophy: Prevention
There are things a man can do to prevent penis shrinkage. Here are a few easily incorporated tips for preventing penile atrophy:
1) Maintain or get to a healthy weight. Avoiding or getting rid of visceral fat is key here.
2) See a doctor for anything odd going on downstairs.
3) Practice safe sex, and in this case, it means painful angels or positions that can cause penile trauma and later scar tissue.
4) Have frequent erections to provide the penile tissue and vessels with oxygen and nutrients to keep everything properly nourished.
5) Use a specifically formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) each day to keep skin moisturized and elastic. These cremes are full of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and Arginine which increase collagen and boost blood flow.